200703091747Manager Interview Report
This Manager Interview Report is conducted by a MBA-Marketing graduate student Ms. Ming-Shiuan Huang of Drexel University in Philadelphia, USA on 2004/11/2.
1. As a leader, how long do you value yourself ?
As a leader, I would like to value myself in the proper time when necessary no matter what I am in easy circumstances or in adverse circumstances.
2. Do you have mentor in your career? If Yes, What kind of characteristic he/she has influenced you?
I don’t have a particular mentor in my career. I have learned something from my co-workers when working closely with them. Those who have influenced me are people with self-confidence, integrity, high EQ, open-minded and etc….
3. After reading a lot of articles about leadership which includes emotional intelligent and skills, we all know how to improve us to be a good leader. However, which one you think that is not necessary or you disagree in your management field.
All skills are necessary to improve myself to be a good leader.
4. Do you aware that you are a “leader”? Do your employees also aware that you are a leader of them? How do you know?
Yes, I do aware that I am a leader and my employees also aware that I am a leader of them. Because they always look-up on me for direction and support. They will follow my directives to do their works and consult me on all the actions required.
5. How do you “read” people? We can recognize “put right people in right place”. What kind of strategy you use to allocate human resource effectively?
I read people by looking into their abilities, characters and attitudes in addition to their education and experience background. “Putting right people in the right place” requires a full understanding of the job requirements and a good match of the person for the position, which includes knowledge and skills, experience, characters and attitudes. The strategy would be to have a clear job description and allocate the best suitable person who can and will do a good job.
6. (cont.5) Did you ever failure when using this strategy? If yes, did you figure out the weakness of this strategy? If no, did you ever think to improve this strategy?
Although I have never failed when using this strategy, there are always rooms for improvement. To improve the strategy, appropriate training will be provided to the best suitable person so that he/she can work more effectively. Continue support will be provided to him/her. Regular reviews will also be conducted to monitor the effectiveness of the strategy.
7. Do you believe that it helps to be "friendly" with your staff, to create a positive environment or business and personal life should strictly be separated?
Yes, I believe that it helps to be “friendly” with my staff, to create a positive environment or business and I agree that personal life should strictly be separated.
There should be a balanced point between business and personal life. I would be flexible depending on the situation.
8. If the decision you make is critical to the corporation culture, what you will do?
I will be very seriously and carefully to proceed if the decision I make is critical to the corporation culture. Full consultation will be carried out and evaluation of impact will be conducted as well.
9. “Loyalty of company”. Will you ask your employees to be loyalty? What attitude you have about company loyalty of leader.
Sure, but I had rather assess my employees if they can meet the minimum requirement of being loyalty of company. My principle is that any activity should not affect the company’s reputation and interest.
10. Welcome abroad! THSRC (Taiwan High Speed Rail Corporation) has invited many professional elite from all over the world. What attitude you have when dealing with people from abroad.
Recognize the cultural difference and accept different working philosophy. Help others to understand the local customs and practice. Respect each other and work towards the common goal.
11. (cont. 10) How do you arrange employees from abroad?
Those expatriate employees are recruited usually by “word of mouth”, a friend tells them of the job, and then they apply through the web site. Once they have been interviewed and appointed, THSRC arranges their flights and moving costs to Taiwan, and arranges accommodation for them.
Thank you for answering these questions!