記得2010年初，英國Mott MacDonald工程公司一位過去THSRC的同事Giulio Piroli先生邀請我加入他們參與中國高鐵的團隊，後來他們北京分公司的董事長 Mike Blackburn先生親自來台北跟我面談，面談一開始他就問我「你知道山西太原嗎？」，原來他們在中國高鐵大西線（山西大同至陝西西安）可能得標的那段辦公室預定設在太原。我當場回答他，如果現在有張中國地圖，我可以很快的並準確地指出它的位置，他說為什麼？我告訴他因為我們在台灣受教育，從小學、初中到高中，無論中國歷史還是中國地理每個人都要唸三遍，加上我個人對中國歷史及地理的興趣，可以說是已經背得滾瓜爛熟。
一年多前沒想到有機會來中國工作，雖然沒能加入Mott MacDonald，但我選擇了當時認為是offer更好的德國DB International公司，讓我想要到中國遊山玩水的願望提前實現。在中國工作的這一年裡，我曾利用長短不同的假期，到浙江附近的名勝古蹟走走，先後去過江郎山、杭州西湖、安徽黃山、千島湖、蘇州及吳錫，最遠的行程是今年初帶著妻女遊古都西安。
就在上（五）月中的一個周末，我突然接到過去長官 Dr. Kao的一封mail，內容如下：
「How are you?
Recently, I met a couple of friends from Hongkong and they are looking for engineers from Taiwan with HSR experience to work there.
Are you interested ?」
「Many thanks for your concerning. I am doing very well here in China. But I was a little disappointed by DBI's logistic support.
I am interested in working in Hong Kong if possible. Please you would help me to obtain a proper job in HK. Your assistance is highly appreciated.」
於是Dr. Kao 將我推薦給他的香港朋友David 及Derrick：
「Last time when we meet in Taipei, we discuss about currently Hongkong is in need of engineers with HSR background.
Benjamin Wu was my colleague in Taiwan HSR, he was the deputy project manager for one of our civil contract ($ 400 millions) and now he is working in China for DB’s HSR project. He is interested in moving to Hongkong.
Benjamin is a very sincere, responsible, experienced and hard-working engineer.
If there is any opportunity for him to work in Hongkong, can you forward this message to the person who might be interested in contact Benjamin.」
「HSR project in HK is under construction. I will approach some Civil Contractors next weeks.
Could you send your CV for easy reference.」
「Many thanks for your prompt response and assistance.
Attached please find a copy of my CV for your reference. Please let me know if you have any query or need more information about me. Your assistance is highly appreciated.」
「I got an enquiries for a post of Senior Resident Engineer for a Mega Private Development in Guang Zhou working under a Hong Kong Consultant.
Are you interesting ?
I can send your CV to them if interesting.」
「Many thanks for your job vacancy information. Please help me to send my CV to that company for applying the position you mentioned in your mail.
Look forward to good news from you.」
「My name is Kelvin Kuo from LMM Consulting Engineers Ltd. (Hong Kong Company). As referred by Derrick Leung, we know that you want to work for Hong Kong Company.
In fact, we have a large-scale civil and geotechnical engineering project in Guangzhou of Mainland China (Sun Hung Kei project), and it will take about 5 years to complete the whole development. As a new phase of site formation works will be carried out soon, we have to deploy a Senior Resident Engineer (SRE - full time on site) to supervise and manage the site works. The roles of the SRE are required in addition to checking and supervising the safety, progress and quality of works of Contractors, he have to manage a Team of about 14 technical persons including engineer, assistant engineers and site supervisers of both Hong Kong and Local people.
If you are interested in the post, please give me a call to discuss at 00852-95200000 or 00852-21000000. or could you please email your contact to me so that I could reach you tomorrow morning.」
「Many thanks for giving me an opportunity of telephone interview with you this morning.
As described in a recommendation mail to your friend Derrick from Dr. Kao who was my former supervisor in Taiwan High Speed Rail I am a very sincere, responsible, experienced and hard-working engineer. I assure it will be helpful to your company if I can join this project.
Look forward to good news from you.」
「Further to our telephone conversation this afternoon you arranged a face to face interview and a site visit for me at Guangzhou on next Friday (27th May 2011). I already booked a seat of earlier airplane from Hangzhou to Guangzhou by Air China (Flight No.CA1719) and the time I arrive Baiyun (Guangzhou) airport is scheduled at 09:40am of that day. Please let me know if you have any query.
Look forward to seeing you at Guangzhou.」
五月27日我依約抵達廣州白雲機場，上午11點左右在工地見到了LMM公司的總工程師Kelvin，他先將整個開發案做了個詳細的介紹，其次告訴我該工程目前的狀況、SRE的職責，及要我談談我的想法，最後簡單地說明了他們可能的offer。面談結束後，他又帶我去見了業主代表Mr. Chung，我們三人在業主辦公室相談甚歡，我感覺得出來Mr. Chung很希望我能加入這個計畫。中餐是業主代表在頗具歐洲風格建築的九龍湖公主酒店（如附件照片）宴請我等六人。飯後Kelvin要兩位資深工程師陪我去工地瞧瞧，看完工地回到LMM工地辦公室，Kelvin和我做最後懇談，我跟他報告了工地情況，及我對本計畫的一些想法與對策，他很認同我的見解。
「Many thanks for your kindly face-to-face interview with me on your project site yesterday. It is really a difficult mission for the position SRE you are looking for in this project through my preliminary observation and understanding on site. I have confidence of getting this project better if I may have an opportunity of joining the project. Please you would let me know more detail information about LMM's offer, such as my employment agreement with LMM (draft) and SRE's job description if possible. Your assistance is highly appreciated.
Looking forward to your response.」
「Thank you for your coming to site for the interview.
I enclose herewith the general duties of the Senior Resident Engineer for your information.
For your consideration, details of our offer are briefly presented as follows:
1. Position Title
As a Senior Resident Engineer, the Employee is required to perform the duties as described in the attached sheet, and undertake the responsibilities in a professional manner.
Monthly salary of CNY $000 (Remibi) is offered, that has included the accomodation charge and transportation cost. (For your information, the rent required for a Unit of the adjacent Village House is about CNY $750 per month).
- A return ticket to Taiwan will be given every year.
- The Employer shall at its expense provide the Employee with the Health Plan that is currently in place or as may be in place from time to time.
The Employee shall be entitled to vacations in the amount of 12 days per annum.
5. Probation Period
It is understood and agreed that the first ninety days of employment shall constitute a probationary period during which period the Employer may, in its absolute discretion, terminate the Employee's employment, for any reason with 7 days of notice.
If you consider the above is acceptable, I will then draft the formal agreement for your endorsement.
Looking forward to receiving your reply soon.」
「Duties of Senior Resident Engineer
1. Exercise an overall administration and control of the construction work supervision and discharge the duties of the Engineer's Representative as required by the client.
2. Review contractors’ programme of works to ensure the satisfactory progress of the project as a whole.
3. Ensure that instruction laid down and standards set within the contract documents, construction drawings and technical specifications are adhered to in relation to the construction of the civil and geotechnical engineering and associated works.
4. Liaise with relevant Government departments, utility companies etc., where their activities affect the project.
5. Keep the Engineer’s Representative fully advised on all matters related to the work on site.
6. Exercise the powers and discharge the duties contained in the provisions of the Contract delegated by the Engineer’s Representative.
7. Assist the Engineer’s Representative to exercise the powers and discharge the duties of those provisions of the Contract that have not been delegated.
8. Supervise the preparation and maintenance of the as-built records together with any other records required by the Engineer’s Representative including the taking of photographs.
9. Examine and vet all proposals and correspondence revised from the Contractor and prepare draft replies and certificates including draft certificates for payment.
10. Attend meetings with the Contractor, Project team and/or Client on matter relating to the Works including progress, safety and public image and prepare minutes of these meetings.
11. Liaise and attend meetings with parties other than the Contractor on matters relating to the Works and prepare minutes of these meetings.
12. Keep the Engineer informed of all developments including progress on Site by monthly reports and any special or incident reports.
13. Encourage Contractors and other persons on Site to use safe methods of working.
14. Bring to the attention of the Contractor and the Engineer any breach of regulations or good safe working practice observed that could give rise to the injury of any person on the Site or any member of the public.
15. Bring to the attention of the Contractor and the Engineer any working practice that could be detrimental to the Works.
16. Uphold the public image of Government in general and Water Supplies Department in particular and bring to the attention of the Contractor and the Engineer any action that is detrimental to a good public image including but not necessarily limited to the provision of clean footpaths and barriers in public areas, lighting, signing and guarding, and mitigation of the environmental impact of the construction activities on the public.
17. Supervise the other Resident Site Staff as directed by the Engineer including provision of such guidance they may need to carry out their duties, advise the Engineer of any requirements for overtime working and prepare reports on their performance.
18. Check the accuracy and details of constructed drawings prepared by the Contractor.
19. Supervise the deployment and use of any vehicle provided by the Client under the terms of the Contract.
20. Wear and encourage Resident Site Staff to wear helmets protective shoes and reflective jackets.
21. Review the techniques involved and analyse the results of any test or trial carried out on or off Site.
22. Carry out such further duties as may be assigned by the Engineer.
23. Review the contractor’s construction program to ensure construction works comply with the program and relevant standards and codes of practices to meet the clients and design’s criterions.
24. Lead LMM’s team of engineers, local inspectors, organize meetings and implement QA and QM procedures according to LMM standards.
25. Liaise with LMM’s Project Engineers in the head office on a basis as required to ensure high quality project delivery.
26. Liaise with LMM’s Project engineer, and other project teams as the project work and contract administration demands.
27. The Chief Resident Engineer shall issue all take-over certificates for partially completed works, phase finished works, and finished works after reviewing the quality and quantities, review of all as-built drawings issued by contractors.」
經過我詳細了解 LMM 的 offer 和 Contract 內容，發現這份工作我可以勝任，但是感覺他們的 offer 與 SRE 所承擔的責任和工作份量不很相符，一則，也因為我在中國高鐵的工作還有一年以上的時間，可以等待更好的機會，於是，我婉謝了 LMM 提供的這個工作。
「Many thanks for your employment information and kindly assistance.
After carefully discussing with both my family and my current supervisor in DB International I was strongly recommended to stay in China high speed rail project temporarily. Especially my Germany supervisor told me that I had given a very helpful contribution in this project previously and he would need my assistance in the future. It really was not easy to decline his request. Therefore, it is to be regretted that I could not join with your beautiful project. I hope there is still an opportunity of joining with LMM in the near future.」